Friday, December 22, 2006

Slow Walk

We walked slowly
taking our time
kicking pebbles and laughing lightly
easily chattering, your teasing
making me laugh
smile despite myself
giving me thoughts to cherish
for the rest of my day

You sat next to me
class partner, complaint sharer
saving a seat whenever I
slid in too late
patting it, smiling
nodding for me to know
it was only for me

I passed you notes
whispered
leaned over while your
wild locks tickled my cheek
speaking so close to your earlobe
so close to you
smelling your masculine cologne and
wondering if you thought of me when you
sprayed it on and
tucked that beautiful mane under nappy cap
my thoughts escaping me
so busy observing you sitting still and smooth,
unmoving as the
light air left my mouth and
softly tickled your neck

We anticipated each other's expectations
enjoyed one another's mellow vibe
sought unity in the knowledge of
New York cool
confident expression of friendship
teeter tottering on
other possibilities, but
which one would be bold enough
to cross the line?

Not me, I took your
silent offering for granted
simplistically relying on your
modest presentation of nonchalance
ignoring the occasional spark, unsure of its cause
I remained silent, scared of love's possibility or
rejections liklihood

Not you, noticing my other friendships
other relationships, determining that the risk
seemed too great, the loss easier to save face
rumors of my raw man
too loud and the boy/girl
game simply too easy, cause too many
other girls always so accessible
always waiting in the cut
to get to know you

So we continued to walk, slowly
taking our time and
choosing two different paths.

No comments: