Sunday, December 17, 2006

Less Than Average

Foolishly believed my life
would mean something
someday
Thought, when it was all said and done
that I would have mattered
made a difference
inspired and encouraged others

Hoped I might
at the very least
make honorable mention in this game
float along the hubris of
the cosmic energy
until the collective occasionally plucked me out
recalled and appreciated

But the reality is
I have failed to make even the slightest dent
strike an indelible mark,
haven't even splashed blood red
on this canvas of life

I have done nothing to
put me in the minds of the collective whole
encourage or stimulate my people
set an example of courage or tenacity

Yeah. When it is all said and done
I have come out less than average
and certainly no more than common
the supernatural mission
whispered in my ear at birth
has not been completed
the talented tools loosely held, easily discarded
misplaced, carelessly allowed to fade

In the final judgement
when the totality of my life is measured and weighed
I'm afraid that I will be left wanting
I know that I have come up short...

No comments: