Sunday, November 26, 2006

Crack the Shell

Leaving would be cool and easy
this lifestyle didn't quite fit
too snug around the chest
his nonchalant demeanor
assured me that
only his physical had been extended
anyway
so my departure would not cause
any real trail of tears
His constant coolness would
make the departing easy, necessary
since it was the determining factor
that made my situation feel
precarious, at best

But he freaked out
when my foot crossed the threshold
crying and pleading
opening a dam of emotion
previously unseen
demanding an explanation
a reason for leaving

Stumped, I thought the
reason self explanatory
at best
who could remain without
clear definition
appreciation, or acknowledgement
some idea of whether my existence
even mattered at all to him
when we weren't physically combined

But I stayed because
his silence and coolness
were sexy and alluring
and I had the unique ability to
pull him out
bring him into my mix
crack through his shell and
hear soul secrets and lustful utterings
in the midst
making our union just
that much more special

No comments: