Monday, April 30, 2007

Future Husband

"So, you got benefits?"
he asked me
devilish smile
splitting his face in two
so used to easily
roping women in

"What?" my mind went blank
was this guy serious?
fine as hell, but over confident for sure
"What's your name?" he asked
laughing at me now
my face twisted like I
smelled something foul
I told him, not wanting to be rude
he was, after all, a friend of a friend

"Get out, let me see you"
oh, hell no. He had the
car door open, leaning there on thick legs
ready to judge me up and down
I had to put an end to this
put this guy in his place
place an end to all this nonsense
let him know he was out of his league

"No need for me to get out,
your too short for me anyway."
There. The dagger had been thrown
Thought he would hurl out a slur
and make his exit

Instead he laughed, found my sarcasm clever
thought me bold,
someone worth the energy of conquering
"Oh, your a fiesty one," he smiled, laughing again
this time, I really looked at him
enjoying his ease of self
his ability to smile
his casual way
his calm magnitude

Despite myself, I climbed out of the car
measured myself up against him
found a new and comfortable fit

Made myself a lifetime friend that night
exchanging quick comments and
sarcastic retorts
trading numbers and future dreams
planning future rendezvous
making plans with my
future husband

No comments: