Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Departing

I knew
it was the last time
I would see his face
my heart hurt
becuase there was
nothing I could do
no way I could
stop time
turn back fate
and make it different

My blessed grandfather
cried when he saw me
tears poured down his face
as I hugged him tight
I needed to see him
My soul told me to go
to make it happen
but I didn't realize
until the morning of my
return flight home
that I would
never see him
alive
again

I just knew
as he stood in the carport
and waved at me
blew kisses
his smooth dark face
wet with tears
a sudden fear
realization claimed my sense
clenched my insides
the desperate need to
vomit
overtook my brain
I couldn't stop the car
I couldn't turn back time
I didn't know the time or the date
but my soul
felt like a stone
dropping to the very pit of me

I never saw him
alive
again

No comments: