Monday, May 21, 2007

The Graduation Gift

I requested the gift
six months in advance
hoping this time an exception
would be made
maybe this time I could actually
receive something I wanted

A gold bracelet
delicate chain connected to
a simple name plate
on which my five letters could fit perfectly

But we were at war and
she seemed to relish
any opportunity to turn the dagger
in the gaping wounds of her
only child

On graduation day
minutes before departure
she called me to her room
observing me coolly she
opened the jewelry case
watching my excitement shine through pain
she lifted it, placed it neatly on her wrist
and made me fasten it
then observed in evil satisfaction
as I read the five letters.
Her initials.

"I originally ordered it for you"
she said, "but decided you don't deserve it."
"Besides, don't you think my initals
look better anyway?"

Despite it all, this was the first time
that I hated her
but I swallowed it
like I swallowed all her other poison
for the sake of appearance
and no one ever knew
nor would they have believed me
anyway

1 comment: