Thursday, May 24, 2007

Caught

I saw it first
the flashing blue and red
my heart sank
I was dead wrong
and life as I knew it
would surely end

I hadn't done anything
not really
but if no action was equivalent
to encouragement
then I was guilty as sin

I sat still
through the cursing
sudden motion around me
as 2 male car mates discarded
tiny bags filled with
white powder substance and thin brown twigs
on the floor, next to my feet
placed the shiny black guns
on the floor, next to my home girls feet

stupid girls

about to catch a bid
disappear for a life time
invisible within the metal cage
for tryin to roll dirty
with simple drug dealers

I prayed
as the car pulled over
the uniform slowly approached
I lowered my head
closed my eyes
and prayed

Backup rolled up but
loud voice screamed through walkie talkies
187 a few blocks away, more important
they glared at us, figured us small time
hurled a few verbal threats
jumped in their cruisers and
pulled away

God had spared me
given me a second chance
at the life I should have been
tryin to achieve
I was off path, had lost focus
but in those few seconds
He revealed a glimpse of my future
it's inevitable nothingness
which changed me forever

No comments: