Thursday, July 26, 2007

Self Defeat

sometime during puberty
doubt planted its firm root
dug deep into the soil of my heart
constricted my freedom to express

there was no fear
before that
I would perform concerto's
at the baby grand
the only lil inner city black girl
outperforming the sea of privileged
I would step on stage
tapping away or
stretching and contorting to
the rythm of jazz
Won literary contests and
performed poetic pieces
I ran around the track
strong and sure, confident
without doubt I was meant to win

but then something, some little thing
whispered in my ear that
I was ugly, fat
unworthy, untalented
repeatedly, magnifying my flaws and
blocking site of talent

and I believed
shut down and relinquished my gifts
to that hum
the liar's greatest weapon
ruin by self defeat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very deep..I can really picture this scene..
Great work..