Thursday, July 26, 2007

My Friend

My friend I
never paid much attention
as you waited for me
at my back door
and walked me to and from
school

You were simply my friend

No matter how cold the morning
I knew
you'd be standing there
waiting
smiling
No matter how long the walk
I knew you'd get me home
quiet and true

You were my friend

I took you for granted
years later
the face and body had
greatly changed
so handsome
a heat overwhelming me
upon sight
until your smile struck
a familiar chord with my spirit
and your eyes revealed the
soul mate I had lost
and I rejoiced because
I had finally found you
my spirit so desperately missed you

and you were still
my friend

1 comment:

Onika Pascal said...

this was smooth and honest. sometimes we do tend to overlook the "real deal". I loved this one.