Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Wrapped Within

So, I don't deserve love?
because my frame is no longer small
stomach no longer flat and
weight has been allowed to collect
that is reason enough
to deny me access
remove my pass
prohibit me from the list of
worthy candidates?

You mean, I really shouldn't be loved?
because my skin isn't light
couldn't pass that paper bag test
in the middle of winter
the brown of me is
offensive to you
my nubian chocolate brother?
the mirror reflection of your own complexion
is not beautiful, not worthy
not also deserving of love?

So, I really won't be loved?
because of the exterior
my failure to stun your senses
with magnificent beauty
makes my normalcy
offensive and somehow
ugly
and in my ugliness,
I am now doomed to loneliness
because your idea of my exterior
so much more important
than the beauty, the love
the hope and the faith
wrapped within me, huh?

So, I shouldn't be loved?

No comments: