Thursday, August 02, 2007

Two Years Later

Two years later
the man was hers
or, at least his baby
certainly was
he hadn't crossed my mind
I am sure I never entered his

but she insisted
made it conditional on
his access to the baby
if he wanted to spend time with his family
they had to come to me
to put the child in my face
to insure that I viewed her
the victor
that I witnessed
her dominion

stunned at the ridiculousness
I agreed to his whispered request
welcomed them with open arms
hugged them both
but while her back was turned
I shot him questioning looks

he shrugged sheepishly, helplessly
we were both muppets in her production
thought out over two years
two years
then I felt sorry for her
sorry that this was all life amounted to
I was in college
highschool things seemed so distant
hadn't realized our love thing
had caused her this much pain
this much embarassment
so much poison needed to be released
and she craved verification

So I sat there
grinned and beared it
and reminscied over my past actions
my light dismissal, my failed acknowledgement
of other girls feelings
when it involved a male
I wanted

I owed her
I had to make penance
so I gave her the moment
she had thought on
anticipated
needed
and I gracefully affirmed her victory
while I internally absorbed anguish
at having caused her so much pain...

No comments: