Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Cannot (Tribute to Katrina)

I can't
I simply cannot
participate in your meaningless mourning
glancing at video memorials and
television remembrances
dishonest sympathy, abysmal pity
disdainful judgement
trumped up entertainment to
pacify your moral double standards

You left us to die
starve
dehydrate
fester
decay
drown
die

You labelled us refugees
reflected us as looting criminals
displayed the ignorance of some
as the blanket justification
for the dehumanization of thousands

While you 'spread justice'
throughout the world
over 48 hours
you couldn't provide
decent shelter
water
food
sustenance or
a faint hope

Letting our babies die
wither and melt away
life fading like a used light bulb
old people dying on the curb
dignity stripped, all hope lost
their last remembrance is that
this country didn't stray from its disgusting past
and in the end
what is a black or poor life worth
anyway?

I cannot watch your fake tears
your politically inspired words of hope
I cannot,
I cannot
I know the truth
you let us die....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Kai. Excellent.


Terry