Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Use This Time

I thought I could rule the world
didn't know I was the wrong color
the wrong gender
don't misunderstand
I still tried
Fearless, I immersed myself
in this male dominated game
only to discover that
morals and scruples
didn't belong
painting me
young and dumb
and an easy target

I foolishly thought
I could be somebody
make a difference
leave a definitive mark
didn't know that short money
made survival the most important thing
leaving philanthropic efforts
and lofty dreams
something to achieve
later, if at all

I didn't realize
how quickly time escapes us
forever marching forward
not giving us a break, a second chance
a momentary rewind
and I missed my exit
slid right past my entry point
ran just beyond that narrow strip
that led to my oasis

So please, please
make use of this time
of now
live in it
enjoy it
harness it and
control it
Utilize this time
and your future
won't mirror
my past

No comments: