Thursday, June 21, 2007

Splintered Soul

He doesn't love me anymore

That's not what he said
but, it's what I heard
His mouth said that
he couldn't stay here
couldn't stand to be here, with me
another second
I was driving him crazy
making him feel breathless
this wasn't the life he signed on for
not the responsibilities he wanted

Actually, he said
I had ruined his dreams
caused him to throw away his future
he'd wasted all his time
running in behind me

and I sat there stumped
because my future was shattered
balled up and discarded
trying to be the wind
beneath his wings

So that is it
and for all the years
the time and the tears
the effort and the love
the fortitude and encouragement
for all the swallowed disappointments
I get nothing
but blame and resentment
and the splintering
of my soul

No comments: