Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Down 4 Whatever

What happened?
We've lost that
down for whatever, whenever
spontaneity

Indulgent enjoyment
physical and spiritual
limited means, but
privileged circumstance
manifesting hourly enjoyment
daily lingering, playing
submerging, experimenting

Baby, I'm down for whatever
whenever
basement stools and
family room floors
attic coves and
bathroom showers
kitchen tables and
backseat benches

Time like grains of sand
pouring through hands
landing bountiful at our feet

But now it's gone
plagued by
responsibility and
grown folk drama
consuming energy and
exhausting creativity
snuffing out primal urging
making bed time actual sleep time

We can get it back
it's still there, I feel it
just rustle it up and recreate
preserve a bit of us
away from the world
set aside for only you and I

Hmm, naw, we don't have
to wait for tonight
with you, baby
I'm down for whatever.

2 comments:

Aiesha said...

I really felt this poem. I am sharing it with the hubby now.

a.Kai said...

Thanks aiesha - married folks know what thats all about!!