Monday, November 26, 2007

Mr. Bethea

Your essence
is drenched across each page
As I study the notes
I recall the decade of lessons
you teaching me to
read music
feel music
understand music
the dignified respect of
gracing the piano

And now, years later
years after your funeral
years after the innocent me
was forced to mature
I open those books
the same books
with your careful script
your concise direction
I can hear your slight cough
your perfected reprimand

Now, as I teach my daughters
the hidden secret in music
its beautiful continuity
its unconditional acceptance
its melodic poetry
I hear your voice
and remember your way
your encouragement
I realize that I never told you
how much I adored you
how much I admired you
how much I held you in awe

through your notes, your script
your constant demand for perfection
through your lessons of music and life
I remember you and
your legacy certainly
lives on

No comments: